Sunday, August 24, 2008

Change of Heart...

Well, I finally got my temple recommend! I seriously think it has been four years since I have had one and gone to the temple! I got to meet with the Bishop last Sunday and it was such an amazing experience and conversation! We talked about where I am to go when I graduate, he talked to me about how great he thinks I have been doing, we talked about Bryan, and me moving away. We talked about Maryland and both agreed that wherever I went, it was time for me to move on. He then asked those specific questions… With tears gathering in my eyes, my heart racing with excitement, and smiling from ear to ear, I answered each question with the readiness to make that commitment! When he finally said those words, I nearly jumped out of my chair and hugged him, “Amy, I think it’s time we get you that recommend.” I haven’t been so happy in such a long time!! In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited or so eager to go to the temple! Maybe because once I lost that ability, I finally realized how important and valuable it was to be able to go! They always say that once you lose something, you see the value of it! That’s for sure in this case!!
Wednesday was that special day!!! I had waited all week for that special time when I could use this powerful peice of paper! Watching it transform from paper to a plastic key! The key that would open up my heart and make me feel whole! The first time in years that I have been able to use my recommend! It was the first time in years that I was able to step in the temple and feel worthy to be there! The first time…. It really felt as if it was the first time all over again!! The excitement rushing through me all day! I couldn’t wait to go and felt like a little kid bragging that I was going to get to go there that day! I waited for my singles ward so eager in the waiting room and every time the door opened looked to see if they were there yet. When they finally arrived we went down and all I could do was smile! I was so excited!!
As we waited in line to have our recommends checked, I felt like a little kid, anxious and excited. We got our stuff and went in to change. I totally had forgotten what to do and started to feel stupid, but those nice ladies made me think and remember that the Lord didn’t care if I had forgotten, he only cared that I remember him and came to him. We went into the chapel, I read a few scriptures and then we started confirmations. The temple worker spoke of the importance of the work and how the process works and told us that it is as if Jesus himself was performing the work. A gentlemen behind us made a comment about this being the only place on earth where Jesus is almost actually here doing the work. Or it was something along the lines. But, as he said this, he was getting so choked up that it just hit me and I have such a great love for that man that I don’t even know. I kept waiting for my turn and it finally came! As I sat down waiting for this great experience and expecting to hear voices or feel something amazing, I just felt this overwhelming happiness and joy! A warmth that I can’t explain! I went to the baptismal font next and Brother Payne got to baptize me. It was so cool!! I forgot how to do that one to!! I nearly drowned myself… well not really! I just got water up my nose because I didn’t think that this amazing swimmer I am needed to plug my nose. Wrong!! Anyway, half way through our names, a man and his wife came in for us to do a name for them. I don’t remember the name, but I do know that they were so happy and the man kept mouthing “Thank you!” to us. I don’t know who the person was, but to know that this family was so greatful was so amazing! I hoped for an experience with that name, but the truth is, the experience I had was that of watching how happy this family was to have a loved one of theirs baptized into this wonderful church. I wonder what thay day will be like in heaven when we all get to reunite and I am able to learn of their story.
Of all of those that I did work for, it was the last name that I performed for that is the one that I remember, Phobe Elizabeth Whitton. I don’t know why, but I want to research her just a little bit. It was such an amazing night! I don’t want this feeling to go!! I feel myself changing and having a greater desire for the church and the temple! I hope that this feeling doesn’t go away! I would like to keep going to the temple and I think that in doing so it will help me to do better in my life!
I can't imagine my life without the church in it! I have so many other things to write about this past week, but I will do it another time!! So many experiences and happy moments!!
Well, until next time... Aloha! (Hello and Goodbye!)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out in your first post! I feel special. :) (Do you like my use of emoticons? I'm good at that). :) I don't really know how to do anything but smile. I'm so glad to read this post. I'm so glad you're happy. You've worked so hard to figure things out and to get to where you want to be. I know there are so many choices up ahead, but as long as you stay on this path, you'll be completely fine!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete